Dual Enrollment Questions Answered

Here+are+the+courses+offered+for+Dual+Enrollment%2C+courtesy+of+guidance.+

Here are the courses offered for Dual Enrollment, courtesy of guidance.

Lucy Brisman, Co-Editor News

Dual Enrollment is a program that collaborates with Seton Hall and Northern Valley Demarest in a project called Project Acceleration. The project allows students in certain courses to get college credit if they are 11th and 12th graders. If a student dual enrolls in numerous classes, they possibly could be able to skip a semester and even a year depending on how many credits they receive.

According to bestcolleges.com, a class costs $600. Courses range from one credit to four, and each credit is $105. Most courses are three credits meaning $315. You can take up to three courses a semester. The fee needs to be paid before October 14, 2022.

According to an article published by North Central College, How Many Classes Should I Take A Semester, students take fifteen credits per semester in college on average.

The requirement to get these credits is to earn a C. A grade of a D or F will lead to termination from the program.

Mr. Spatz, head of the guidance department, explained that there are many reasons to dual enroll in your classes.

“Taking a course that a college has approved for DE — even if you do not enroll in the course for credit— might help you gain the confidence to do college-level work,” Spatz said.

However, it is essential to note that not all colleges will accept these credits.

For example, Rutgers on their website states, “Some courses with Rutgers equivalent in njtransfer.org may transfer as elective credit, or may not transfer while the student was in high school.”

Additionally, the University of Wisconsin-Madison has a different policy for dual enrollment.

They wrote on their website that, “students who take college courses prior to high school graduation (this includes dual enrollment) will receive advanced credit at UW-Madison as long as the credit is: transferable, earned at the accredited college, and listed on an official transcript generated by the college.”

Mr. Spatz thinks that for dual enrollment, “core courses, like English 4, science, history and math could potentially help because they have the highest chance of transferring to a college.”

“The best thing to do is to look at the college website or reach out to them to ask how they handle DE and other transfer credit. Many do accept them for something. But this is not to say that all do accept them,” Spatz said.

“I might not recommend selecting a course only because it is DE. I’d rather students simply select the course they wish to take. But I do think if you are in a DE class, you should seriously consider enrolling in the DE option,” Spatz said.

Following this logic, students may be able to save a lot of money in the future and time if they take advantage of dual enrolment. In response, Spatz said, “Yes, there is a money factor involved. But usually, these are the cheapest credits you will ever take.”

Any further questions, you can look at the dual enrollment FAQ written by the guidance department.  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1v5oTZpKsYVngzo84M6dDscUVoiiayXz8W5xpTI-DZ0U/edit