The Student Newspaper Site of Northern Valley Regional High School

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

Another success for NVD's annual art show
Michelle Yu, Co-News Editor • June 12, 2024

NVD holds an annual art show to display students’ artwork from different art classes the school provides, including studio art and digital...

NVD student's summer songs
Lola Brown, Co Editor-in-chief • June 12, 2024

As the weather gets warmer and seasonal depression is in the rearview mirror, certain songs perfectly match the mood. These “summer songs”...

Graduation caps being thrown in the air.
Photo courtesy of stockvault.net
A senior looks back
Lucy Brisman, Managing Editor/Opinion Editor • May 31, 2024

13 years ago, County Road Elementary School gave me an ID that defined me for my entire academic career. The first four numbers were 2024....

Teachers shouldn’t give homework on religious holidays

Courtesy of Pixabay

In the past few days, teachers have been giving homework to students while holidays have been happening. Most of these holidays have been Jewish holidays and people are not happy with the school not respecting the time for these holidays since there is a large population of Jewish students in the school. The last holiday where this was seen was Passover, even though teachers were not allowed to give out tests there should be more homework-free days during a week-long holiday.

This is a controversial topic since the students argue that the school should be more aware of this topic since the main point of the holidays is for families to spend time together, pray, and practice traditions, and having homework on some of these holidays is taking away this time for students and their families. Some religions have to pray a number of times on a religious day. Students can also feel unappreciated for not counting on the school to support their religious beliefs. 

For some holidays, especially Jewish, some followers are not allowed to use electricity and since school work is mostly done on the computer it may interfere with students’ performance in school. In some cases, they are also not allowed to do any type of work which could cause students to fall behind on school assignments. 

A counterargument of this issue could be that teachers have to go through certain materials before the end of the marking period and that if they don’t give homework that could affect the material that students need to be learning. But any students feel like there should be more free days of homework for holidays that are a week long and not only one specific day of the holiday. 

In my opinion, the school should show more respect for students’ beliefs and be more aware of their traditions since they could feel like their traditions are not being respected as well as having more stress in order to balance their school work with their religion and traditions.