The Student Newspaper Site of Northern Valley Regional High School

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

Another success for NVD's annual art show
Michelle Yu, Co-News Editor • June 12, 2024

NVD holds an annual art show to display students’ artwork from different art classes the school provides, including studio art and digital...

NVD student's summer songs
Lola Brown, Co Editor-in-chief • June 12, 2024

As the weather gets warmer and seasonal depression is in the rearview mirror, certain songs perfectly match the mood. These “summer songs”...

Graduation caps being thrown in the air.
Photo courtesy of stockvault.net
A senior looks back
Lucy Brisman, Managing Editor/Opinion Editor • May 31, 2024

13 years ago, County Road Elementary School gave me an ID that defined me for my entire academic career. The first four numbers were 2024....

NVD student’s summer songs

As the weather gets warmer and seasonal depression is in the rearview mirror, certain songs perfectly match the mood. These “summer songs” aren’t typically listened to in the winter, because the songs just fit so well with the warm air and light-hearted aura that summer facilitates. 

Some of the things that make a song a designated summer song are things like: the melody, beat, and lyrics. Junior Trianha Puente enjoys various songs that have similar vibes in the summer.

“The songs that I like in the summer are really catchy and they bring such good vibes. You can play these songs whenever like at practice or a party. These songs have such a good tune and make me so happy,” Puente said. 

The summer vibe is something that transcends language. Junior Danny Perez also has certain songs he likes in the summer. 

“I listen to a bunch of different music. I listen to a lot of throwback music and Spanish songs,” Perez said.

Junior Arielle Levy enjoys listening to a specific genre of music. 

“My favorite songs to listen to in the summer are house music, it’s a genre of music that has a super rhythmic beat,” Levy said. 

Danny Perez associates a certain era of music with summer. 

“Typically what reminds me of the summertime would be pop throwback music from the 2010 era,” Perez said.

Many students enjoy throwback songs from the 2010s.

“Songs I constantly associate with summer are throwbacks. Music from 2016-18. They bring out the happy summer vibes,” Levy said. 

Songs from the 2010s are super popular with kids at NVD. These songs can be heard at practices, games, and various school events that students attend. 

“What makes a song a summer staple is a good hype beat. A happy song with a happy beat everyone can dance and sing to,” Levy said. 

Certain criteria make a song a summer song.

“The song is really catchy and it brings such good vibes. You can play this song whenever. Has such a good tune and makes me so happy,” Puente said. 

Junior Maya Tal enjoys Drake in the summer. 

“Some of my favorite songs to listen to during the summer are old Drake songs like “Child’s Play,” “Passionfruit,” and “Just Hold on We’re Going Home,” Tal said.