The Student Newspaper Site of Northern Valley Regional High School

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

Another success for NVD's annual art show
Michelle Yu, Co-News Editor • June 12, 2024

NVD holds an annual art show to display students’ artwork from different art classes the school provides, including studio art and digital...

NVD student's summer songs
Lola Brown, Co Editor-in-chief • June 12, 2024

As the weather gets warmer and seasonal depression is in the rearview mirror, certain songs perfectly match the mood. These “summer songs”...

Graduation caps being thrown in the air.
Photo courtesy of stockvault.net
A senior looks back
Lucy Brisman, Managing Editor/Opinion Editor • May 31, 2024

13 years ago, County Road Elementary School gave me an ID that defined me for my entire academic career. The first four numbers were 2024....

A senior looks back

Photo courtesy of stockvault.net

13 years ago, County Road Elementary School gave me an ID that defined me for my entire academic career. The first four numbers were 2024. That year felt unfathomable, I would be all grown up, in a world unrecognizable to my seven-year-old self. 

As I am picturing the final days of my senior year I still find it hard to believe that I am graduating. It is scary to think that when I meet new people they will not be from my town, they won’t know my childhood friends or the teachers that impacted many aspects of who I am. How could it be that when I graduate the people I have grown up with will scatter the country? The day I walk across the stage I will no longer have a net catching me when I fall that I have become accustomed to at NVD. That is scary. 

What did I learn from being in high school? If I could give any advice to incoming freshmen what would it be? If I am being honest, high school did not feel like a new beginning but another building block in my life. I definitely have learned and grown but I don’t feel different. I think you take each year, each day, as it is, and hope that tomorrow will be a little better. 

If I had one phrase to describe my high school experience it would be I survived. This seems a little bit pessimistic but it’s the truth. People don’t realize the dedication and exhausting nature of being a high school student. High school students are expected to act like an adult, weave through complex social situations with grace, and study for SATs, while also maintaining perfect grades, and a wide range of clubs, sports, and activities. So yes, I am glad high school is over. I am glad that my hard work has led me to the next stage of my life.

I can’t say that my high school experience is one that all my peers can relate to. Each person would probably give you a different description of high school. The cool thing is, we will all walk across the stage and graduate with the singular name of the class of 2024.