The Student News Site of Northern Valley Regional High School

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

Glen Powell – star of Hitman
(photo courtesy of flickr.com)
New movies are sliding into the box office this summer
Penelope Alevrontas, Associate Arts Editor • May 23, 2024

Summer 2023 was a successful season for movies. “Barbenheimer” knocked the ball out of the park. “Barbenheimer” is the duo of “Barbie”...

New York Rangers at MSG
Photo Credits: NYR at MSG
They’re on their feet at the garden!
Ashley Morrison, Features Editors • May 23, 2024

Madison Square Garden’s New York Rangers (NHL) and New York Knicks (NBA) have both made the second round of their respective playoffs. Fans...

Sephora store
Pre-teen wannabes take over Sephora
Sophia Lee, News Editor • May 23, 2024

Over the past two years, the beauty retailer Sephora has experienced an increasing number of preteen customers. This raises concerns for both...

Twenty One Pilots kick off their new era with single “Overcompensate”

photo courtesy of Rolling Stone Twenty One Pilots Clancy Photoshoot

Since the conclusion of the Icy Tour in 2021, pop duo Twenty One Pilots have been silent with music content, their only release since then being an MTV live album, “MTV Unplugged (Live)” featuring select previously released songs performed live. Three years after the end of the tour, however, a new era was introduced to the scene with their new single “Overcompensate” and with its fiery red theme, the era looks to be an inferno of new sounds from the popular band.

In the weeks before the release of the single, red tape appeared on the album covers of “Vessel,” “Blurryface,” “Trench,” and “Scaled and Icy” with no context posted by Twenty One Pilots on their social media accounts. People later got physical letters in the mail hinting at the date of a release, as well as the era’s predominant color: red. Billboards also began appearing around the same time, featuring a brand new logo on a fiery background. From the assumed theme of fire within the new era, people thought that the new single would be called “Inferno” until the band revealed that it would be titled “Overcompensate”.

Before the premiere of the single and music video, the cover and title of the upcoming May 17 album–“Clancy”–were leaked on the Urban Outfitters website before they were swiftly taken down. Shortly after, Twenty One Pilots put them on their official website, as well as a complete tracklist. Just as people guessed, the album cover is mostly a background with fire in it, confirming one of the era’s themes.

From the single, people are already speculating that the rest of the album will present upbeat and energetic sounds and styles which Twenty One Pilots are known for experimenting with. Another track from the album, “Next Semester” is expected by fans to release soon, as the song duration was posted on streaming platforms. “Overcompensate,” which will be the introduction track on the album, was met with great praise and response from fans. From the fanfare, people are especially excited for Twenty One Pilots’ upcoming album and era.