The Student Newspaper Site of Northern Valley Regional High School

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

Another success for NVD's annual art show
Michelle Yu, Co-News Editor • June 12, 2024

NVD holds an annual art show to display students’ artwork from different art classes the school provides, including studio art and digital...

NVD student's summer songs
Lola Brown, Co Editor-in-chief • June 12, 2024

As the weather gets warmer and seasonal depression is in the rearview mirror, certain songs perfectly match the mood. These “summer songs”...

Graduation caps being thrown in the air.
Photo courtesy of stockvault.net
A senior looks back
Lucy Brisman, Managing Editor/Opinion Editor • May 31, 2024

13 years ago, County Road Elementary School gave me an ID that defined me for my entire academic career. The first four numbers were 2024....

NVD embraces fall flavors

(photo courtesy of pixabay.com)

Fall began this year on September 23rd. When the leaves turn orange and brown, coats come out and cozy comfort foods become incredibly popular. Fall food has something for everyone, from cinnamon buns to pumpkin spice lattes.

(photo courtesy of pixabay.com) This is a delectable delicious apple pie.

Apple pie is a fall dessert that is loved by many. Apple pie is a fall-themed food because apples and apple picking are a trendy fall pastime. 

Junior Yaniv Yahalomi enjoys apple pie. “Apple pie is great. It is better with a flour crust, as opposed to a graham cracker crust,” he said. 

Knowing where to apple pick is spread through word of mouth, lots of apple picking places don’t directly advertise that they offer apple picking. There are some local places in Demarest offering apple picking. Demarest Farms in Hillsdale offers apple picking, for only eight dollars.

There are many types of apples, like Gala, Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, and Fuji. Junior Lillia Ward enjoys apple picking. “I love to apple pick with my family. I used to apple pick with my grandparents” she said. 

(photo courtesy of pixabay.com) Apple cider donuts are a sugary fun way to start celebrating the fall season.

Apple cider is an uncarbonated beverage sold at apple-picking places, grocery stores, and farmer’s markets. Apple cider is a refreshing sweet drink that people enjoy to get into a fall mood. At some farms, they have apple cider donuts that people also love to enjoy.

Junior Jaden Llewellyn enjoys apple cider donuts. “They taste good and they are festive. I have tried so many types of cider donuts, fresh and ones from the grocery store. I particularly like the sugar on the donut” he said.

(photo courtesy of pixabay.com) Pumpkin pie is a good way to use the inside of the pumpkin after carving them.

Pumpkin Pie is similar to apple pie, as it is a pie, but there are huge variations between the two. Pumpkin pie is custard-filled, spiced, and baked to a warm gooey temperature. Pumpkin pie is especially popular in the South.

Junior Victoria Chu enjoys pumpkin pie. “I love pumpkin pie. It is so sweet, warm, and gooey which is perfect to contrast the cool fall weather” she said.

Cinnamon buns are one of the most popular desserts in America. The cinnamon in cinnamon rolls makes the dessert more autumnal. Cinnamon rolls are sold in most grocery stores, bakeries, and coffee shops. Cinnamon rolls are yeast-leavened dough rolled into a spiral with cinnamon in between each layer of dough topped with sweet icing. 

(photo courtesy of pixabay.com) Cinnamon rolls are a yummy warm treat that could be enjoyed in any season, but especially fall.

Junior Sara Genena adores warm cinnamon rolls. “I love cinnamon rolls, especially when they’re warm because they are sweet with great flavor. I also enjoy how festive cinnamon rolls are, remembering my mom making them some morning as it got colder,” she said.

The pumpkin spice latte has become a standalone statement in the past decade. The fall-themed drink is available at various coffee shops. Whether it is Dunkin or Starbucks, the pumpkin spice latte is one of the most popular drinks sold barring the fact it is only seasonal. 

(photo courtesy of pixabay.com) Pumpkin spice lattes are an incredibly popular drink during the fall season.

Junior Olivia Ketchian-Coombs enjoys a warm pumpkin spice latte on cold fall mornings.“I love coffee and I like to switch it up with seasonal drinks. The pumpkin spice latte is a fun way to warm myself up in the cold mornings that come as the seasons change” she said.

No matter what environment fall begins in, these five foods will always be a reminder of the fall season. Fall is the perfect season to get cozy and snuggle up with a warm delectable treat.