The Student Newspaper Site of Northern Valley Regional High School

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

Another success for NVD's annual art show
Michelle Yu, Co-News Editor • June 12, 2024

NVD holds an annual art show to display students’ artwork from different art classes the school provides, including studio art and digital...

NVD student's summer songs
Lola Brown, Co Editor-in-chief • June 12, 2024

As the weather gets warmer and seasonal depression is in the rearview mirror, certain songs perfectly match the mood. These “summer songs”...

Graduation caps being thrown in the air.
Photo courtesy of stockvault.net
A senior looks back
Lucy Brisman, Managing Editor/Opinion Editor • May 31, 2024

13 years ago, County Road Elementary School gave me an ID that defined me for my entire academic career. The first four numbers were 2024....

Softball steers back in the right direction

(Photo courtesy of Lilly Hamlin)
(Photo courtesy of Lilly Hamlin)

The girls softball team this year has been working hard and incorporating different practice plans during the off season. This year, many freshmen are eager to try out and get the softball team back on track. 

Freshman, Deana Finkelstein who plays varsity volleyball and basketball shares her excitement coming into the new season 

I think that the new players can bring good energy and have a solid foundation so hopefully we can add value and build on what the team has already,” Finkelstein said.

Finkelstein is a three sport athlete who is motivated and willing to do anything to get better, her teammates say she is a great teammate on and off the field. 

(Photo courtesy of Lilly Hamlin)

The girls softball team had its downfalls last year but as they continue to put in the work during Sunday practices they have a chance at making a comeback and winning lots of games. 

Coach Petrella who has been the coach for years is excited to start the new year with a new group of girls but also said that he has lots of returning players coming back. 

“Now that we have a large group of returning and incoming players that are committed to getting better individually in the off season, it’s exciting to see where we can go as a group,” Petrella said. 

Since there are so many new players this year the softball team was able to build a summer team for the first time since 2019 and participate in a fall league as well. Also, some of the girls come every Sunday morning for “winter workouts” where they are able to build on their skills. 

The girls have been putting work in throughout this year and coach Petrella believes that it can translate into the team becoming “competitive in league play at the varsity (level) and continue to set a standard for what Demarest softball will  be in the coming years.”

This year the team is able to focus on the fundamentals and incorporate more “live” elements than past years since they have several talented athletes coming into the program. 

“Overall with the growth of the program it allows us to expand on what we do in practice, while still focusing on the fundamentals” Petrella said.