The Student Newspaper Site of Northern Valley Regional High School

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

Another success for NVD's annual art show
Michelle Yu, Co-News Editor • June 12, 2024

NVD holds an annual art show to display students’ artwork from different art classes the school provides, including studio art and digital...

NVD student's summer songs
Lola Brown, Co Editor-in-chief • June 12, 2024

As the weather gets warmer and seasonal depression is in the rearview mirror, certain songs perfectly match the mood. These “summer songs”...

Graduation caps being thrown in the air.
Photo courtesy of stockvault.net
A senior looks back
Lucy Brisman, Managing Editor/Opinion Editor • May 31, 2024

13 years ago, County Road Elementary School gave me an ID that defined me for my entire academic career. The first four numbers were 2024....

Memorial Day Weekend Tips and Traditions

(photo courtesy of Pixabay.com)

Memorial Day Weekend is a big weekend for New Jersey kids because of all the traditions including the Jersey Shore.

Many people travel down the shore to celebrate a weekend of the beach, barbeques, and sunburns.

For most, this is people’s first weekend of the season going to the beach. Meaning packed beaches and stores which can be hard to navigate. 

To start off, the drive down to the shore is always extremely hectic. Lots of traffic and bad drivers can be difficult to deal with, especially for young, new drivers.

Chloe Abramson, a junior at NVD, has been going down the shore for MDW for years, including this upcoming Memorial Day weekend.

“Staying calm and listening to music is all you can really do. The drive down is very annoying but also such a good feeling once you get over that bridge and into the heart of the shore. It’s a feeling like no other really,” Abramson said. 

Once you get to your home for the weekend, that’s when the fun really begins. Jumping in the pool or running to the beach is always first priority.

Although many are eager to stay at the beach for the whole day it is very important to wear sunscreen to protect the body since it is probably not used to the hot sun. 

So making sure you are protected is very important during this weekend.

Another fun part about being down the shore is the food. There are so many good restaurants and food places on the Jersey Shore.

Certain places are also recognized as only being down the shore, which makes going there so much more special.

However, barbecuing and grilling in your backyard after a day at the beach is also an option that can be super fun and summery. 

“Eating with your friends in your backyard or going to get Playa Bowls or sushi is so fun and honestly comforting because it’s just so summer,” Abramson said.

The atmosphere down the shore is like no other. 

Memorial Day Weekend is such a fun experience for kids and adults to travel down the shore to experience a weekend of relaxing and fun.

“MDW at the Jersey Shore is unbeatable. It can be chaotic sometimes and hectic but it is so worth it and the environment makes it so fun and special. Everyone should experience a weekend down the shore at least once in their life,” Abramson said.