The Student News Site of Northern Valley Regional High School

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

Bring your child to work day comes back
Bring your child to work day comes back
The Northern Star StaffApril 29, 2024

On April 25, NVD brought back Bring Your Child to Work Day. It was a new experience for both the students and the children. With games throughout...

Lola Brown and Abdel Mehanni working at Tavern at the Iron Horse
Get to work NVD!
Lola Brown, Features Editor • April 26, 2024

Being a student is hard. There are lots of things we are responsible for. Students are involved in sports, extracurricular activities, and rigorous...

Picture of a hand smoking weed
NYC needs to retract their weed policy
Sophia Lee, Staff Writer • April 10, 2024

What comes to mind with the name “Manhattan?” Do visions of towering skyscrapers, trendy restaurants, and bougie stores come to mind? What...

Girls basketball team has most wins in years

NVD’s girls basketball team has won 17 of the 24 games they’ve played so far this season. The North Jersey newspaper even published an article highlighting the team as one of the top in Bergen County. Last year the varsity team’s overall record was nine wins and 18 losses.  This time around the NVD girls have really kicked things into gear to bring home success. 

Of the ten current varsity players, freshman make five of them. At their game against Pascack Valley on Tuesday, Feb. 6, they warmed up by taking turns practicing “form shooting” into their team’s hoop. Rhythmically, the ball went in again and again.

NVD girls chasing the ball.
(Photo courtesy of Anna Schwartz)

When asked about their season so far, sophomore player Gabby Mittelman explained, “In this year’s county tournament, they had us seated as the 8th-best team. Since then we have won some more games and we could be higher on that list now.” 

On Thursday, Feb. 1, the varsity team lost against Old Tappan, a shocking defeat after all of their hard earned wins. 

“It happened and then we grew from it,” Natalie Khawaja, a member of the team said. For Natalie, the best part of this season has been, “Teamwork and building with other people and growing,” while also, “adapting to change.”

The team got far in the counties and lost in the quarterfinals. Losing to Old Tapan and Pascack Valley will affect their league standings. Still, they have a lot of time to prepare before states come. 

“I don’t think that our loss in the county tournament shows who we are as a team, because I think we’re capable of beating any team we play if we’re in it,” freshman player Lila McElroy said. “We have all the personnel to win.”

At their game against Pascack Valley, lead coach, Coach Jenny, yelled across the court “Kentucky!” for the team to switch to a new play strategy and “Mittelman go!” when Gabby had possession of the ball. At one point, NVD player number 13 went to make a shot at half court with just seconds left in the quarter. It looked like it was going to go in, came just short and the buzzer went off. 

“I learned that it is important to push through the ups and downs and that for a team to succeed everybody needs to be invested,” freshman player Deana Finkelstein who plays power forward said. 

Taylor Miller getting the rebound for Demarest.
(Photo courtesy of Anna Schwartz)

Their team has grown very close over the past couple of weeks. Every pizza dinner and bus ride is a common favorite amongst the players. 

“The best part of the season so far is getting closer to the girls on the team and making so many memories,” shooting guard Ella Peck said. 

With the season about to come to a close, both the JV and Varsity teams hope to make the best out of their last few games together. Hopefully, Northern Valley Demarest can see the girls team make it to the Bergen County Tournament. 

“Record-wise, we have surpassed expectations, compared to our previous season,” Mittelman said. “I’m excited to keep getting better as a team and see how the remainder of this season goes.”