The Student Newspaper Site of Northern Valley Regional High School

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

Another success for NVD's annual art show
Michelle Yu, Co-News Editor • June 12, 2024

NVD holds an annual art show to display students’ artwork from different art classes the school provides, including studio art and digital...

NVD student's summer songs
Lola Brown, Co Editor-in-chief • June 12, 2024

As the weather gets warmer and seasonal depression is in the rearview mirror, certain songs perfectly match the mood. These “summer songs”...

Graduation caps being thrown in the air.
Photo courtesy of stockvault.net
A senior looks back
Lucy Brisman, Managing Editor/Opinion Editor • May 31, 2024

13 years ago, County Road Elementary School gave me an ID that defined me for my entire academic career. The first four numbers were 2024....

Student Section Etiquite

(Photo Courtesy of norsemennation2024)

Friday nights in fall are commonly accompanied by Varsity Football games. The Norsemen Nation are told to “Fill the Hill” and “Respect Their Elders.” Everyone has heard these terms but not everyone knows what they mean. Understanding and having good student section etiquette creates a fun and respectful environment to watch NVD football.

The Norsemen Nation instagram page works very hard to keep the student body informed about upcoming football games and the accompanied themes. Making sure to dress and participate in these themes helps show student support for the football team, and encourages students be team players. Themes are also part of what makes the games fun, so taking part in them can help make for a fun experience. 

Freshman Lauren Bernardez explains the impact themes have on the student section. 

“My favorite part of being in the student section is the atmosphere. Everyone is having fun and hanging out together. Having themes also makes being part of the student section more exciting because you get to dress up” Bernardez said.

(Photo courtesy of Flickr)

A crucial part of being in the student section, and the whole idea, is to cheer on the Varsity Football team. The seniors typically lead fun chants. However, these chants only work if everyone participates. These chants not only help the team feel motivated and supported, but also makes the vibe of the student section more upbeat. 

Varsity running-back Reed Kauderer feels that the chants from the student section are an important part of the football team’s performance. 

“The student section does a great job of creating a lively and spirited atmosphere during games. Their chants and cheers keep us motivated and pumped up!” Kauderer said. 

It can be easy to feel lost or overwhelmed with where to stand or be in the student section. When these feelings arise, students should remember to “Respect The Elders.” The student section is set up by each grade level. The seniors should be in the front as they lead the chants, followed by the juniors, then sophomores, then freshman. 

Lauren Bernardez explains that the set up is easy to understand when you can remember to “Respect The Elders.”

“It’s very easy to find where your grade level should stand. This is because the freshmen are the youngest so they have to sit in the back. I believe it’s self explanatory that the seniors get the “best seats” in the front and the freshmen are in the back” Bernardez said. 

The student section also is inspired by the Varsity Marching Band and Color Guard who perform at halftimes. Just like the football team, it is important to also respect and cheer for the band performers. This helps make the band feel supported and respected, and makes a fun and engaging halftime performance. 

Overall, it is a privilege to be able to have such a spirited student body to support the Varsity Football Team. It is important to remember these key ideas in order to create a fun and respectful environment that portrays the student body and football team in a positive way. Keeping these details in mind, there are always things that the student section can improve on  to unite the student body, and make sure all teams feel supported by their peers. 

This understanding of student section etiquette can be used to show support for other NVD sports teams, in order to create a more cohesive school environment.

Alexis Brisman highlights the importance of showing up for other sports teams.

“I think the student section could improve by showing up for a variety of sports, not just football.” Brisman said.