The Student News Site of Northern Valley Regional High School

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

Photo credits: pixabay
The stress of being bored
Face February break boredom
Syrena Sayid, Staff Writer • February 16, 2024

February break is coming up, and an entire week off of school always seems to be needed. That first weekend is pure bliss- you get to sleep in...

Do modern Disney movies suck?
Sophia Lee, Staff Writer • February 16, 2024

Over the span of several generations, the Disney corporation has provided us with a plethora of memorable and quality entertainment, with many...

(photo courtesy of Mia Harrison)
NVD student “ins” and “outs” for 2024
Mia Harrison, Staff writer • February 16, 2024

The “Ins and Outs for 2024” Tik Tok trend is taking people’s “for you” pages by storm. The trend is a modern twist on creating New...

NVD Opposes City Fashion

Photo courtesy of Pixabay

Shorts are out, tan skin is fading, and the Northern Star is back to give a head start on the fall fashion trends of 2023. Last year was all about corsets, chunky gold earrings, slick back ponies, unbuttoned pants, new balance sneakers, and most importantly pajamas. 

2023 brings new trends to the table, however there is a major difference between NVD fashion and real world fashion. 

Outside of NVD, people are expressing themselves through their clothing. In New York City you can see people wearing baggy and low rise jeans, cargo pants, Ugg high top slippers, and y2k outfits.

Paris is heavily inspiring fashion trends in America this year. Author Olivia Marcus, in her article about upcoming trends, gives insight on her trip to Paris and how she is seeing similar clothing now being worn in New York.

“Mary Janes with socks replaced simple ballet flats, neutral outfits had pops of red, and almost everyone was wearing a pair of perfectly baggy jeans” Marcus said. 

Everyone is absorbing each other’s fashion trends but somehow, NVD stays unfazed. Inside the walls of Northern Valley, fashion trends are more laid back.

Fast fashion is making a mark on Demarest students as many people buy their clothes off of Shein. Shein is a large clothing industry with a wide variety of items. Shein adapts trendy and popular clothing from different stores which makes it cheaper, and attracts many customers.

Brandy Melville is also very popular amongst students. Brandy sells that cute, “clean girl,” look, with the wide leg sweatpants, oversized zip ups, every-day crop tops, and baby tees. The “clean girl” look has become a popular trend which consists of dressing up clean, as in chunky gold earrings, slick back hair, and wearing neutral colors. 

When walking around the halls of NVD, pajama pants are extremely common, along with cut out sweatshirts, and flared pants. 

Although this is popular in the Northern Valley area, you don’t see too many people wearing pajama pants in public or to work. It would be considered unprofessional and improper. However it’s become the norm here. 

The difference between NVD fashion and “street” style is very much apparent. It’s pajama pants vs. baggy jeans. Ugg slippers vs Mary Janes. Shein vs. Zara. 

So the question is, what style are you gonna take on this year? Will you be going to school ready for bed or ready to take a stroll around the city?

Photo courtesy of Pixabay