The Student Newspaper Site of Northern Valley Regional High School

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

Another success for NVD's annual art show
Michelle Yu, Co-News Editor • June 12, 2024

NVD holds an annual art show to display students’ artwork from different art classes the school provides, including studio art and digital...

NVD student's summer songs
Lola Brown, Co Editor-in-chief • June 12, 2024

As the weather gets warmer and seasonal depression is in the rearview mirror, certain songs perfectly match the mood. These “summer songs”...

Graduation caps being thrown in the air.
Photo courtesy of stockvault.net
A senior looks back
Lucy Brisman, Managing Editor/Opinion Editor • May 31, 2024

13 years ago, County Road Elementary School gave me an ID that defined me for my entire academic career. The first four numbers were 2024....

Success to New Years resolutions

NYC New Years ball drop celebration.
(Photo courtesy of Flickr)
NYC New Years ball drop celebration. (Photo courtesy of Flickr)

Ringing in the New Year also means ringing in New Year’s resolutions; but what’s the secret sauce that makes or breaks a person’s success in keeping their word?

When the clock strikes 12, people all over the world make goals for themselves to complete during the upcoming year. Whether it’s to eat healthier, get more sleep, or exercise more, the end target is always some form of self-improvement. However, these goals can be hard to obtain. 

The steps to setting a goal.
(Photo courtesy of Flickr)

Someone saying they are going to do something, and actually doing it, are two very different things. It’s easy for someone to say they are going to get straight A’s, but to actually accomplish it takes a lot of time and work. This is why when making New Year’s resolutions it is important to set realistic and attainable goals for oneself so that you can be successful in completing them. 

When creating a goal to complete by the end of the year, there are certain key factors to consider. The first thing you should think about is “Is it specific?” When making a resolution, people often give themselves broad goals that make it harder for them to focus on. 

Someone might say “I want to make more money,” however, it can be hard to know where to start and how to get there. Instead, making a specific amount of money can make it easier for a person to see and know exactly where they are supposed to get to.

The next question to ask is “Is it realistic?” Someone might say “I want to become famous on Tiktok,” however, this is not really a realistic goal for an average high school student. 

Instead, change the resolution to something easier to accomplish, which can later lead to that end “improbable” goal. Rather than being Tiktok famous, saying “I am going to post two TikTok’s a day” is a better, more realistic, and specific goal for a person to focus on. 

Lastly, making a plan on how to get to the end goal is a very important part of following through with a resolution. Without specific steps and actions to abide by, a goal is simply a thought. 

Start with the very first step to take, and move from there. Not all the steps might be clear in the beginning, but as time goes on the resolution will be closer in reach and the next step will become clear. 

News Year’s resolutions are a very hit-or-miss subject. According to VeryWell Mind, “In one study, only around 12% of people who make New Year’s resolutions felt that they were successful in achieving their goals.”  

Regardless, it is totally possible to accomplish your goal and be able to change your habits and ways. 

“While many people feel that they don’t achieve their resolution goals, one study showed that those who set New Year’s resolutions are 10 times more likely to actually change their behavior than people who don’t make these yearly goals,” VeryWell Mind said.