The Student News Site of Northern Valley Regional High School

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

Picture of a hand smoking weed
NYC needs to retract their weed policy
Sophia Lee, Staff Writer • April 10, 2024

What comes to mind with the name “Manhattan?” Do visions of towering skyscrapers, trendy restaurants, and bougie stores come to mind? What...

Photo courtesy of FreePik
Travel plans during this summer
Make Summer Plans Now or Never
Anna Schwartz, Staff Writer • April 10, 2024

Everyone can feel spring in the air right now with 60-degree weather and t-shirts all around.  Right as spring starts there's always a fast...

photo courtesy of free google images
NVD Students Get AP Test Anxieties
Mia Harrison, Staff Writer • April 10, 2024

The end of the school year is approaching and many students are getting their summer plans in order. For AP students, this is not the case. AP...

Success to New Years resolutions

NYC New Years ball drop celebration.
(Photo courtesy of Flickr)
NYC New Years ball drop celebration. (Photo courtesy of Flickr)

Ringing in the New Year also means ringing in New Year’s resolutions; but what’s the secret sauce that makes or breaks a person’s success in keeping their word?

When the clock strikes 12, people all over the world make goals for themselves to complete during the upcoming year. Whether it’s to eat healthier, get more sleep, or exercise more, the end target is always some form of self-improvement. However, these goals can be hard to obtain. 

The steps to setting a goal.
(Photo courtesy of Flickr)

Someone saying they are going to do something, and actually doing it, are two very different things. It’s easy for someone to say they are going to get straight A’s, but to actually accomplish it takes a lot of time and work. This is why when making New Year’s resolutions it is important to set realistic and attainable goals for oneself so that you can be successful in completing them. 

When creating a goal to complete by the end of the year, there are certain key factors to consider. The first thing you should think about is “Is it specific?” When making a resolution, people often give themselves broad goals that make it harder for them to focus on. 

Someone might say “I want to make more money,” however, it can be hard to know where to start and how to get there. Instead, making a specific amount of money can make it easier for a person to see and know exactly where they are supposed to get to.

The next question to ask is “Is it realistic?” Someone might say “I want to become famous on Tiktok,” however, this is not really a realistic goal for an average high school student. 

Instead, change the resolution to something easier to accomplish, which can later lead to that end “improbable” goal. Rather than being Tiktok famous, saying “I am going to post two TikTok’s a day” is a better, more realistic, and specific goal for a person to focus on. 

Lastly, making a plan on how to get to the end goal is a very important part of following through with a resolution. Without specific steps and actions to abide by, a goal is simply a thought. 

Start with the very first step to take, and move from there. Not all the steps might be clear in the beginning, but as time goes on the resolution will be closer in reach and the next step will become clear. 

News Year’s resolutions are a very hit-or-miss subject. According to VeryWell Mind, “In one study, only around 12% of people who make New Year’s resolutions felt that they were successful in achieving their goals.”  

Regardless, it is totally possible to accomplish your goal and be able to change your habits and ways. 

“While many people feel that they don’t achieve their resolution goals, one study showed that those who set New Year’s resolutions are 10 times more likely to actually change their behavior than people who don’t make these yearly goals,” VeryWell Mind said.