Athletes Make it Official on Signing Day

Ariel Goldberg and Andrew Hefter

On February 1st, seniors who committed to continue their athletic careers at the NCAA level had Signing Day in the auditorium at 8:30 am. They took pictures with their coaches and families, as well as got recognized by Mr. Oppido, Northern Valley Demarest’s athletic director. Signing Day is an event that celebrates student-athletes who received college offers from competitive programs.

Most of the commits who attended signing day were track and field athletes. Lily Dipple, Jordan Wright, Ohan Ambartsomian, Andrew Tandler, and Sarah Slowikowski, are continuing their experience outside of high school. Ambartsomian is going to Northeastern in Boston for shot put in the winter and spring season. Tandler is jumping at Bucknell, Wright is jumping at Babson, and Slowikowski is going to throw at Dartmouth. Dipple is going to the University of Washington as a distance runner.

Dan Argenziano, Malcolm Solomon, and Patrick Cagney are baseball commits who are all looking forward to their spring season in high school. Argenziano is going to New York University, Solomon is going to Saint Elizabeth, and Cagney is going to Saint Thomas Aquinas. 

Ariel Goldberg and Andrew Dunne are playing soccer next year at Mary Washington and Drew. They both play on club teams in the winter and spring to keep up with their soccer skills. They both leave in August to start their pre-seasons, as college teams start their games in the fall. 

Jude Baez is committed to Alfred in New York to play football. He played four years in high school and is continuing his career as a division three athlete. He and his family took pictures during signing day, wearing the Alred colors, purple and gold. 

Gianna Galli, a senior volleyball commit, is going to Gettysburg in Pennsylvania. She is a four-year varsity athlete for Coach Beth Powell and plays club during the off seasons in high school. She sent the Gettysburg coach film and invited the coaching staff to attend several of her club and high school games. Their communication gave Galli an opportunity to visit the school

and meet returning players on the college team. She decided to officially accept her offer and join the Bullet family. 

Signing Day was an event Northern Valley Demarest held for these athletes, who are a part of the school’s sports teams and are pursuing athletics in college. It was a day to recognize their accomplishments and take pictures with family and coaches.