The Student News Site of Northern Valley Regional High School

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

Bring your child to work day comes back
Bring your child to work day comes back
The Northern Star StaffApril 29, 2024

On April 25, NVD brought back Bring Your Child to Work Day. It was a new experience for both the students and the children. With games throughout...

Lola Brown and Abdel Mehanni working at Tavern at the Iron Horse
Get to work NVD!
Lola Brown, Features Editor • April 26, 2024

Being a student is hard. There are lots of things we are responsible for. Students are involved in sports, extracurricular activities, and rigorous...

Picture of a hand smoking weed
NYC needs to retract their weed policy
Sophia Lee, Staff Writer • April 10, 2024

What comes to mind with the name “Manhattan?” Do visions of towering skyscrapers, trendy restaurants, and bougie stores come to mind? What...

NVD Students Get AP Test Anxieties

photo courtesy of free google images
photo courtesy of free google images

The end of the school year is approaching and many students are getting their summer plans in order. For AP students, this is not the case. AP Test season is slowly approaching as many of the tests are in the same week, even on the same day. This can be a very stressful time of year for AP students, as studying for multiple different subjects can be overwhelming. 

It is important to develop good study habits and techniques to manage stress, in order to ensure that students perform to the best of their ability when the test day arrives. 

Different students have developed different studying habits in order to manage these stresses.  Sophomore Dylan Feiner, who is currently taking two AP classes, details her plans and outlook going through this process.

“When I have to study for multiple different subjects on the same day, I first prioritize the tests that are more important or will likely be the most difficult. Other times, I will try to study for easier quizzes and tests first to get them out of the way so I can save my remaining time studying for a bigger test like APUSH, for example, which usually requires several hours of my time,” Feiner said. 

Feiner explains how she has felt trying to balance studying for the AP test, while also managing everyday work from the classes, and how this affects her mental state. 

“I haven’t even started studying for the end-of-year AP tests because I have had so much work for the class itself on top of all other school work, and I am so nervous because these tests are extremely important, but I feel like I’m running out of time to prepare,” Feiner said.

Feiner goes on to describe how the AP tests are affecting her performance in the classes. 

“Knowing how important these tests are, my performance improves in class because the material that is taught during class will be on the test, especially in APUSH, for example. The pressure to do well on the AP tests motivates me more to participate and perform will in-class,” Feiner said.

Junior Elan Kipnis, who is currently taking four AP classes and has taken end-of-the-year AP tests before, shares his perspective, and a differing outlook on the stress and pressure from the tests.

“It feels like a very heavy weight and the pressure/stress accumulates quickly. At times it isn’t too difficult to handle, but often the workload becomes overwhelming. When I am assigned a lot of work, it often makes it harder to focus in class, negatively impacting my performance,” Kipnis said.

Kipnis expresses how he felt on past AP tests, and how he prepared for them.

“The AP tests I have taken in the past are difficult, but I feel as though the time constraints are respectable. I had enough time to finish all my work, but some questions and prompts felt more challenging than things I may have studied and seen in class previously,” Kipnis said.

Kipnis shares insight on how he manages his stress as well as how he plans out his studying. 

“To lower my stress, I try to plan out my weeks and space out work. I use a checklist to write down my work and check things off when they are complete. Spacing out my work helps eliminate the occasional stress of having too many assignments to do at once, but stress still exists because even with this tactic the workload can still be excessive,” Kipnis said.