The Student News Site of Northern Valley Regional High School

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

Glen Powell – star of Hitman
(photo courtesy of flickr.com)
New movies are sliding into the box office this summer
Penelope Alevrontas, Associate Arts Editor • May 23, 2024

Summer 2023 was a successful season for movies. “Barbenheimer” knocked the ball out of the park. “Barbenheimer” is the duo of “Barbie”...

New York Rangers at MSG
Photo Credits: NYR at MSG
They’re on their feet at the garden!
Ashley Morrison, Features Editors • May 23, 2024

Madison Square Garden’s New York Rangers (NHL) and New York Knicks (NBA) have both made the second round of their respective playoffs. Fans...

Sephora store
Pre-teen wannabes take over Sephora
Sophia Lee, News Editor • May 23, 2024

Over the past two years, the beauty retailer Sephora has experienced an increasing number of preteen customers. This raises concerns for both...

Students hit the January-March Slump

(Photo Courtesy of FreePik)
(Photo Courtesy of FreePik)

Bergen County has many great things to offer, but the January through March season is not one of them.  

At the start of the school year, there are so many different holidays to look forward to. All the way from Labor Day weekend, Halloween, Thanksgiving, to New Year’s, there is a consistent group of months that are full of festivities. For a couple of months straight everyone is filled with holiday spirit even though the weather is getting colder. 

After the New Year there is a complete shift in mood and surroundings. Weather patterns become unpleasant because everyday feels like walking outside in a gray cold cloud. 

The reason it is always so dark and gloomy in January through February is, “…the Earth is tilted 23.4 degrees on its axis, the arc the Sun moves through during the day will rise and fall across the year as the Earth’s pole points either towards or away from the Sun” according to Royal Museums Greenwich. 

This also causes a lack of motivation because sunlight affects the body’s internal clock which determines serotonin levels in the brain. Cold weather and lack of motivation is real and normal. It is completely backed up by science and the “happy chemical” in the brain. 

Most students this time of year feel unmotivated and more lazy than usual. Freshman Zoe Gatanas is a three sport athlete for field hockey, winter track, and lacrosse who also experiences the slump during these months. 

“In the summer, spring, and even fall, I feel less tired and more energetic but when January through March hits I just don’t feel like myself,” Gatanas said. 

The temperature dropping also affects many people’s moods and makes them feel agitated or even moody. Gatanas is a three season athlete who has tips on how to manage stress especially in the gloomiest time of year.

“Some ways that help me stay positive and motivated are listening to music, eating healthy, and drinking water. Trying to do things to stay busy helps take your mind off stress like reading or spending time with friends and family,” Gatanas said. 

Snoqualmie Valley Health recommends increasing outdoor exposure, staying physically active, and doing things that are enjoyable during the winter months.

If everyone prioritizes their happiness, and participates in activities that make them happy, this time of year won’t feel so gloomy and miserable. Three months go by fast and it makes  appreciation for summer and the sun greater. 

“Just remind yourself everyday that you are one day closer to spring/summer,” Gatanas said. 

(Photo courtesy of Shuttershock)