The Student News Site of Northern Valley Regional High School

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

Picture of a hand smoking weed
NYC needs to retract their weed policy
Sophia Lee, Staff Writer • April 10, 2024

What comes to mind with the name “Manhattan?” Do visions of towering skyscrapers, trendy restaurants, and bougie stores come to mind? What...

Photo courtesy of FreePik
Travel plans during this summer
Make Summer Plans Now or Never
Anna Schwartz, Staff Writer • April 10, 2024

Everyone can feel spring in the air right now with 60-degree weather and t-shirts all around.  Right as spring starts there's always a fast...

photo courtesy of free google images
NVD Students Get AP Test Anxieties
Mia Harrison, Staff Writer • April 10, 2024

The end of the school year is approaching and many students are getting their summer plans in order. For AP students, this is not the case. AP...

The right way to do Valentine’s day: relationship edition

(photo courtesy of Flickr.com)

Once again, love is in the air and it is an opportunity to express love for yourself or others. Last year, The Northern Star covered “How to be single on valentines day.” This year, we want to hear from NVD students on how they will spend this holiday in a relationship. 

High school is a place where young relationships are flourishing and Valentine’s Day is the perfect opportunity to show gratitude for the special person in your life. There are many ways to show your love for them through gifts, date ideas, homemade cards, and more. 

Senior Leo Carvajal explains how he thinks Valentine’s Day should be celebrated with a significant other, “[For] others, I would recommend an experience for the both of you rather than chocolate and candy” Carvajal said.

Carvajal believes that a memorable experience is way more thoughtful than the typical Valentine’s Day gifts. 

In order to make Valentine’s Day a memorable experience, there are many things couples can do. At home dates are perfect for a cozy night in with a movie and each other’s favorite snacks. 

Or couples can go the more fancy route and take their significant other out to dinner at a special place. Restaurants like “Stern and Bow,” “The Hill,” “Houston’s,” and “River Palm,” are very popular places in Bergen County. 

There are also plenty of fun and different date ideas like pottery making, baking together, going to the movies, going on a hike, and more. 

For the holiday, Carvajal is taking his girlfriend out to dinner and to see the new Bob Marley movie called “One Love” which is only out on February 14th.

Another way to make the holiday special is with thoughtful gifts. 

Sophomore Markus White thinks that “something useful and sentimental” is the perfect gift for your significant other. 

Baskets with the other person’s favorite candy, chocolates, homemade cards, the famous JellyCat stuffed animals, jewelry, or even flowers shows the other person that they care, which is so important. 

“Valentine’s Day is a day to remind your significant other that you love them, but realistically it shouldn’t be different from any other day” Carvajal said.