The Student Newspaper Site of Northern Valley Regional High School

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

Another success for NVD's annual art show
Michelle Yu, Co-News Editor • June 12, 2024

NVD holds an annual art show to display students’ artwork from different art classes the school provides, including studio art and digital...

NVD student's summer songs
Lola Brown, Co Editor-in-chief • June 12, 2024

As the weather gets warmer and seasonal depression is in the rearview mirror, certain songs perfectly match the mood. These “summer songs”...

Graduation caps being thrown in the air.
Photo courtesy of stockvault.net
A senior looks back
Lucy Brisman, Managing Editor/Opinion Editor • May 31, 2024

13 years ago, County Road Elementary School gave me an ID that defined me for my entire academic career. The first four numbers were 2024....

Seniors participate in spirit week

Seniors dress up in “Frat” attire.
Photo courtesy of Lilly Hamlin
Senior dressed up for spirit week.
Photo courtesy of Lilly Hamlin

As the end of the year approaches for NVD seniors, they get to dress up for an entire week in different themed outfits to celebrate their departure. 

The week before May begins, seniors have different themes that they are given to wear. This gives seniors a fun opportunity to dress up in exciting and unique outfits for their last couple weeks of school. 

Senior Netta Saban said, “Getting ready each morning was really fun. It made me excited to get out of bed knowing all my friends are also getting ready, each picking out their own outfits to match the theme.”

Starting the week off was a “decades” theme. Students dressed up in their favorite Y2K outfits including Juicy Couture sweat sets, headbands, and their 90’s bell-bottom jeans. This theme was exciting to go back in time and bring back the standard outfits of the 2000s. 

Senior Morgan Cohen said, “I loved Decades Day, it was probably my favorite because this outfit had the most accessories.”

The following day seniors were assigned the theme of “frat boys.” Not only was this theme amusing and entertaining but it was really easy for them to put the outfits together. Most seniors wore their favorite college oversized t-shirt, a backward hat, and boy shorts. 

On the third day of spirit week, seniors dress up in a “wild west” theme. Many seniors wore cowboy boots, jeans, flannels, and cowboy hats. They portrayed western cowboys and cowgirls. They took a lot of pictures dressed up in their attire to represent the theme.

Finally, on Friday, the theme was “Norsemen Day”. This is where the seniors dressed up in their best blue and white Norsemen pride merchandise to honor their school and wear NVD colors to end the week. 

“My favorite theme of spirit week was Norsemen Day. I love showing my school spirit and over the years I have collected so much merch and apparel for NVD, so it was really fun and easy to look for an outfit and accessories to wear,” Saban said. 

Cohen said, “We were gonna do pajama day but it didn’t fit in the schedule, so I think next year pajama day would be a fun idea!” 

This brought the Senior class of 2024 closer together and was an exciting way to close their last couple weeks of high school. The seniors will be missed and will leave behind another legacy to look back on. 

Saban said, ​​”If NVD could add another theme to the week I would do a meme day, every time I see other schools do that theme I think it’s hilarious, I feel like it would be so funny to see what people would choose to dress up as.”