The Student News Site of Northern Valley Regional High School

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

Bring your child to work day comes back
Bring your child to work day comes back
The Northern Star StaffApril 29, 2024

On April 25, NVD brought back Bring Your Child to Work Day. It was a new experience for both the students and the children. With games throughout...

Lola Brown and Abdel Mehanni working at Tavern at the Iron Horse
Get to work NVD!
Lola Brown, Features Editor • April 26, 2024

Being a student is hard. There are lots of things we are responsible for. Students are involved in sports, extracurricular activities, and rigorous...

Picture of a hand smoking weed
NYC needs to retract their weed policy
Sophia Lee, Staff Writer • April 10, 2024

What comes to mind with the name “Manhattan?” Do visions of towering skyscrapers, trendy restaurants, and bougie stores come to mind? What...

NVD students open their wallets but for what?

Credit card form payment
Augusta Free Press
Credit card form payment

Money is great. It can be used to buy almost anything, and well, it’s necessary in order to live in this world. So it’s not surprising when high school students are asked, “What would you like?” when it comes to receiving a gift, they often respond, “money.” 

But has anyone wondered what high school students really spend their money on? NVD students share their spending habits and what often gets them to open their wallets and hand over their beloved bills or cards. 

Based on a poll sent out to 22 NVD students, 66% responded that they spend their money on food most often. Unsurprisingly, growing teenagers spend quite a bit on satiating their hunger. What separates the food that high school students spend their money on from the food adults spend their money on is fast food vs. groceries. 

Poll results on spending (Sujin Kim)

Fast food chains remain the most common place for NVD students to go to grab a meal with friends or pick it up. One particular fast food that was repeatedly mentioned was Chipotle.

“Chipotle is my go-to. I love going there after the gym, and it’s pretty cheap for how filling it is,” junior Kyra Sasmaz said. 

NVD is a short 10-minute drive away from Closter Plaza’s Chipotle, making it a quick and convenient place to satisfy some cravings. The short distance also makes it packed during lunchtime when it is almost guaranteed to see NVD juniors and seniors in Closter’s Chipotle. 

“I go to Chipotle often, and I almost never go without seeing at least one person from the school,” junior Luke Novosel said. 

An order from an NVD student during lunch
(Sujin Kim)

Coming in second place for what NVD students spend most of their money on is drinks. Countless students are seen in Starbucks, making it look like a school favorite, where they can buy beverages ranging from plain iced coffee to a fruity refresher.

“I’m at Starbucks so much, some of them know my go-to order,” junior Ava McLaughlin said.

As students swipe into the school from a free period or lunch, oftentimes, they come in accompanied with a drink in their hand. 

“I think I go out during lunch to Starbucks at least twice a week and always see so many groups of kids from our school,” McLaughlin said. 

While food and drinks are the most often spent on by NVD students, various other purchases take place as well. 

NVD Junior Katie Ariefiev shares how she spends a significant portion of her savings on buying clothes online. 

“I am constantly adding things to my cart and checking out online shops…I feel like it’s so much easier and faster. It’s probably why I spend so much on clothes,” Ariefiev said.  

Other popular online clothing stores among high school students are Lululemon, Brandy Melville, Nike, and Aerie. 

NVD kids continue to earn money and spend it in countless ways, whether it’s for food, clothes, or a quick drink. 

“It’s, in a way, like therapy,” Ariefiev said.