The Student Newspaper Site of Northern Valley Regional High School

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

Another success for NVD's annual art show
Michelle Yu, Co-News Editor • June 12, 2024

NVD holds an annual art show to display students’ artwork from different art classes the school provides, including studio art and digital...

NVD student's summer songs
Lola Brown, Co Editor-in-chief • June 12, 2024

As the weather gets warmer and seasonal depression is in the rearview mirror, certain songs perfectly match the mood. These “summer songs”...

Graduation caps being thrown in the air.
Photo courtesy of stockvault.net
A senior looks back
Lucy Brisman, Managing Editor/Opinion Editor • May 31, 2024

13 years ago, County Road Elementary School gave me an ID that defined me for my entire academic career. The first four numbers were 2024....

Juniors deal with stress

As NVD enters marking period three, the juniors have experienced the struggle that junior year holds. 

Junior year not only has the most academic pressure out of the four years of high school, but it’s also the time when students begin all of the college preparation. 

Additionally, students begin preparing for standardized testing, which is time-consuming and takes a lot of focus.

The conversation of college is everywhere around them, whether it’s from guidance counselors, parents, or friends, it is guaranteed to become a constant thought in students heads. 

The American Institute of Stress states, 55% of juniors feel stressed and anxious about maintaining satisfactory grades. 

Student stressed out while doing work.
(Photo courtesy of The Spartan Forum)

The pressure is held high for junior year, which is tough for students to deal with, however, there are many strategies to deal with stress. 

Chloe Poirot, a junior at NVD, claims that the best way to deal with the work of her junior year has been to manage her time well. 

Poirot says, “I think junior year has been harder than past years mostly because of the number of tests and workload. I deal with the workload by time managing well. I set aside time when I go home to spend time only focusing on my homework and blocking out any distractions.”

Another junior at NVD, Marco DeCroce, talks about the negative effects that junior year can have on students, “Myself being a 3 sport varsity athlete and having to manage my school work is very hard on my mental and physical health. Being able to manage all the work and sports is tough on student-athletes or other students who are struggling at home or with other outside conflicts,” DeCroce said. 

Making sure that the workload is manageable can be challenging. Students can’t control how much work they are assigned, but they control how to manage the time they have to complete this work.

Time management is the most important for your physical and mental health,” DeCroce said.

It’s all about how students spend their time. Juggling schoolwork, sports, after-school activities, and more can be challenging. However, if juniors prioritize a certain time of the day to complete homework, they will have time for friends and social activities.

A list of stressful activities juniors deal with.
(Photo courtesy The Morgan PawPrint)

“Being able to have time to be social and see friends and family is very important in my life to help relieve my mental and physical struggles throughout the work-filled weeks,” DeCroce said.

Once students hit junior year, parents naturally expect more from them. Their responsibility level rises and they are expected to handle things on their own. Students experience a new chapter of their lives once they turn 17.

I think junior year is a big maturing year because this year is a big step in growing up. It’s the year people get their license and have more freedom but on top of that, the responsibility for the amount of work increases,” Poirot said.