The Student News Site of Northern Valley Regional High School

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

Picture of a hand smoking weed
NYC needs to retract their weed policy
Sophia Lee, Staff Writer • April 10, 2024

What comes to mind with the name “Manhattan?” Do visions of towering skyscrapers, trendy restaurants, and bougie stores come to mind? What...

Photo courtesy of FreePik
Travel plans during this summer
Make Summer Plans Now or Never
Anna Schwartz, Staff Writer • April 10, 2024

Everyone can feel spring in the air right now with 60-degree weather and t-shirts all around.  Right as spring starts there's always a fast...

photo courtesy of free google images
NVD Students Get AP Test Anxieties
Mia Harrison, Staff Writer • April 10, 2024

The end of the school year is approaching and many students are getting their summer plans in order. For AP students, this is not the case. AP...

NVD student “ins” and “outs” for 2024

(photo courtesy of Mia Harrison)

The “Ins and Outs for 2024” Tik Tok trend is taking people’s “for you” pages by storm. The trend is a modern twist on creating New Year’s resolutions where creators list things that they want to be “in” and leave “out” of 2024. 

The “ins” usually are healthy lifestyle habits that they want to bring into 2024, and ‘outs’ are bad habits or thoughts that they would like to keep out of 2024. Some items on the list that people want ‘in’ are actual fashion or culture trends — like animal prints or oversized jackets— while others are more behavior-oriented like early bedtimes and staying hydrated. 

This fun twist on New Year’s resolutions makes students and younger adults want to stick to their goals, and set 2024 up to be a year of self improvement. 

Sophomore Alexa Chodos outlines what this trend is.  

“The trend is your personal choice about what you want your year to look like and what you want to stop from last year. A resolution is supposed to be your goal, but this trend could be anything” Chodos said.

She compares this trend to the typical NewYear’s resolution, and its impact on teenagers.

“I like this trend better than the typical ‘New Year’s resolutions’ because it makes it more fun. A trend like this impacts teens like all other trends do. It encourages teens to want to do the same and reflect back on the year they had” Chodos said. 

Chodos goes on to list some of her personal “ins” and “outs” for this year.

Some of her “ins” for 2024 are getting homework done on time, going to bed early, and being positive. Chodos’s “outs” consist of procrastination with work or other things, pjs to school, and scrolling on social media for hours. 

Sophomore Kyle Pereira states what he has seen of this trend, and compares the 2024 Ins and Outs trend to the typical New Year’s resolutions.  

“From what I’ve seen, the ins and outs TikTok trend is a series of slideshows posted after New Years that list ins, things people want to see for themselves or for the general future, and outs, which are things they want to stop or get rid of in 2024. I prefer this trend to New Year’s resolutions as it can often be funnier and more relatable than personal New Year’s resolution goals,” Pereria said. 

Pereria continues to highlight the positive impact this trend has on teenagers, and what his “ins and outs” for 2024 are. 

“I think this trend is largely positive because it suggests similar changes in mindset to that of New Year’s resolutions. My ins for 2024 are healthier choices for myself and a stronger focus and commitment to school. My out for 2024 is procrastinating.” Pereria said. 

Sophomore Olivia Jagid has a more fashionable outlook on this trend and the things she hopes to see, or not see, in 2024. 

“People use clothing as an example. One of my “ins” is cheetah print clothing, where my “out” is skinny jeans” Jagid said. 

Jagid proves how this trend is very different from the average New Year’s resolutions as creators are able to put their own personality and style into it.

“It is a good alternative to New Year’s resolutions, and since people are sharing their ideas on TikTok, teens can be inspired by others’ lists,” Jagid said.