The Student Newspaper Site of Northern Valley Regional High School

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

Another success for NVD's annual art show
Michelle Yu, Co-News Editor • June 12, 2024

NVD holds an annual art show to display students’ artwork from different art classes the school provides, including studio art and digital...

NVD student's summer songs
Lola Brown, Co Editor-in-chief • June 12, 2024

As the weather gets warmer and seasonal depression is in the rearview mirror, certain songs perfectly match the mood. These “summer songs”...

Graduation caps being thrown in the air.
Photo courtesy of stockvault.net
A senior looks back
Lucy Brisman, Managing Editor/Opinion Editor • May 31, 2024

13 years ago, County Road Elementary School gave me an ID that defined me for my entire academic career. The first four numbers were 2024....

NVD student “ins” and “outs” for 2024

(photo courtesy of Mia Harrison)

The “Ins and Outs for 2024” Tik Tok trend is taking people’s “for you” pages by storm. The trend is a modern twist on creating New Year’s resolutions where creators list things that they want to be “in” and leave “out” of 2024. 

The “ins” usually are healthy lifestyle habits that they want to bring into 2024, and ‘outs’ are bad habits or thoughts that they would like to keep out of 2024. Some items on the list that people want ‘in’ are actual fashion or culture trends — like animal prints or oversized jackets— while others are more behavior-oriented like early bedtimes and staying hydrated. 

This fun twist on New Year’s resolutions makes students and younger adults want to stick to their goals, and set 2024 up to be a year of self improvement. 

Sophomore Alexa Chodos outlines what this trend is.  

“The trend is your personal choice about what you want your year to look like and what you want to stop from last year. A resolution is supposed to be your goal, but this trend could be anything” Chodos said.

She compares this trend to the typical NewYear’s resolution, and its impact on teenagers.

“I like this trend better than the typical ‘New Year’s resolutions’ because it makes it more fun. A trend like this impacts teens like all other trends do. It encourages teens to want to do the same and reflect back on the year they had” Chodos said. 

Chodos goes on to list some of her personal “ins” and “outs” for this year.

Some of her “ins” for 2024 are getting homework done on time, going to bed early, and being positive. Chodos’s “outs” consist of procrastination with work or other things, pjs to school, and scrolling on social media for hours. 

Sophomore Kyle Pereira states what he has seen of this trend, and compares the 2024 Ins and Outs trend to the typical New Year’s resolutions.  

“From what I’ve seen, the ins and outs TikTok trend is a series of slideshows posted after New Years that list ins, things people want to see for themselves or for the general future, and outs, which are things they want to stop or get rid of in 2024. I prefer this trend to New Year’s resolutions as it can often be funnier and more relatable than personal New Year’s resolution goals,” Pereria said. 

Pereria continues to highlight the positive impact this trend has on teenagers, and what his “ins and outs” for 2024 are. 

“I think this trend is largely positive because it suggests similar changes in mindset to that of New Year’s resolutions. My ins for 2024 are healthier choices for myself and a stronger focus and commitment to school. My out for 2024 is procrastinating.” Pereria said. 

Sophomore Olivia Jagid has a more fashionable outlook on this trend and the things she hopes to see, or not see, in 2024. 

“People use clothing as an example. One of my “ins” is cheetah print clothing, where my “out” is skinny jeans” Jagid said. 

Jagid proves how this trend is very different from the average New Year’s resolutions as creators are able to put their own personality and style into it.

“It is a good alternative to New Year’s resolutions, and since people are sharing their ideas on TikTok, teens can be inspired by others’ lists,” Jagid said.