The Student News Site of Northern Valley Regional High School

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

Picture of a hand smoking weed
NYC needs to retract their weed policy
Sophia Lee, Staff Writer • April 10, 2024

What comes to mind with the name “Manhattan?” Do visions of towering skyscrapers, trendy restaurants, and bougie stores come to mind? What...

Photo courtesy of FreePik
Travel plans during this summer
Make Summer Plans Now or Never
Anna Schwartz, Staff Writer • April 10, 2024

Everyone can feel spring in the air right now with 60-degree weather and t-shirts all around.  Right as spring starts there's always a fast...

photo courtesy of free google images
NVD Students Get AP Test Anxieties
Mia Harrison, Staff Writer • April 10, 2024

The end of the school year is approaching and many students are getting their summer plans in order. For AP students, this is not the case. AP...

History was made during the 96th Oscars nominations and more…

Courtesy of tedpigeon.blogspot.com

The 96th annual Oscars are coming up within the next month. This star-studded event will present awards for the films that took the world by storm. Every year, Hollywood’s nominated stars come together to celebrate their films and accept awards. This year there have been some nominations that stand out amongst others.

The Oscars, also known as the Academy Awards, recognize the artistic and technical accomplishments within the film industry. The Oscars have an exclusive voting system where members of the Academy get to vote for the categories and nominations. There are different branches of the Academy, so for each category, different people are voting. For Best Picture, the members of the Academy vote together. To become a member of the Academy, one must be sponsored by two current members of the Academy. There is no application process, individuals are picked to join the institution.

Courtesy of wikipedia.com

Lily Gladstone is the first Native American woman nominated for Best Actress at the Oscars. With her nomination, it was a historical moment. The film, “Killers of the Flower Moon” depicts the true event of the Osage Murders, while Gladstone portrays Mollie Burkhart, an Osage woman known for surviving the Osage murders.

Gladstone also became the first Indigenous person to take home a Golden Globe during this year’s Golden Globes award ceremony. With this nomination, everyone shared many emotions.

“I didn’t think I was going to cry, but I did. I was on the phone with my folks,” Gladstone explained in an interview with today.com.

Along with Gladstone, many people received their first Oscar nominations during this year’s award season. Many decorated Hollywood actors have received recognition and nominations in the 2024 Oscar nominations. The actors and actresses to receive recognition are: America Ferrera, Cillian Murphy, Colman Domingo, Danielle Brooks, Da’Vine Joy Randolph, Emily Blunt, Jeffrey Wright, Sandra Hüller, and Sterling K. Brown.

Courtesy of gorgeousfootstepsinthesand.blogspot.com

“I’m stunned and so moved to be nominated among the brilliant artists who have done beautiful and important work this year,” America Ferrera said in a statement sent to CNN. “I’m so proud to get to bring Latiné representation to this years [sic] Academy Awards, along with my fellow Latiné nominees. May the diversity of voices acknowledged by the Academy continue to grow!”

While the listing of nominations was happening, some names were left out. People believe that there were some snubs during this year’s nominations. There are discussions about whether or not Margot Robbie should have been nominated. Barbie was nominated for Best Picture, but its director Greta Gerwig was also not nominated.

“To see Greta Gerwig not receive a nomination was kind of upsetting,” NVD student and upcoming filmmaker, Indy said. “For all of the effort that was put into Barbie and the popularity it accumulated, Gerwig should not have been snubbed.”