The Student Newspaper Site of Northern Valley Regional High School

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

The Northern Star

Another success for NVD's annual art show
Michelle Yu, Co-News Editor • June 12, 2024

NVD holds an annual art show to display students’ artwork from different art classes the school provides, including studio art and digital...

NVD student's summer songs
Lola Brown, Co Editor-in-chief • June 12, 2024

As the weather gets warmer and seasonal depression is in the rearview mirror, certain songs perfectly match the mood. These “summer songs”...

Graduation caps being thrown in the air.
Photo courtesy of stockvault.net
A senior looks back
Lucy Brisman, Managing Editor/Opinion Editor • May 31, 2024

13 years ago, County Road Elementary School gave me an ID that defined me for my entire academic career. The first four numbers were 2024....

Top 10 Halloween Costumes

Photo Courtesy Of FreeImages
Photo Courtesy Of FreeImages

Grab your broomsticks, sharpen your fangs, and prepare to enter the enchanted world of Halloween costumes.

After 2,000 years of the same holiday and the same costumes, Halloween never gets old. The tradition of wearing costumes originated with the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain. People would light bonfires and wear costumes to get rid of ghosts. The question now is what type of Halloween costumes are worn this many years later and which ones are the best for this spooky holiday.

Junior Jessica Anavim mentions her favorite costumes and why.

“I like the angel, vampire, and cop costumes in specific because it’s basic but is cute every time and I feel very good and confident in these costumes,” she said.

Costumes are not only seen in person but everywhere online as people post their costumes very frequently.

Anavim mentions her favorite costumes she has seen on her friends.

“The costumes I like to see on me and my friends are fairies and pirates because they are simple to do and they look really good on everyone. I love watching them feel confident in their costumes,” she said.

Halloween costumes are mainly used as a great way of self-expression and can be used as a vessel for confidence.

Junior Laura Dank mentions why she feels confident in her favorite costumes.

“My top three Halloween costumes are angel, nerd, and bunny. These costumes make me feel post-confident because I am able to incorporate clothing pieces that I already own to personalize the costume and make it more unique from others,” she said.

Dank explains why these are her favorite costumes and why they stand out to her.

Photo Courtesy Of FreeImages

“These costumes stand out compared to other costume

options because they are able to be interpreted and presented differently by everyone. Therefore, making the angel, nerd, and bunny costumes my overall favorite” she said.