Girl Up Offers Self Defense With Officer Cho

Alexandra Stanivukovic, Staff Writer

A new Girl-Up Defense program has been put in place for the students of Northern Valley Demarest. Girl-Up is a club that allows young women and girls across the nation to use their voices and be involved in a community with the voices of other young women fighting for the same thing: equality.

Club advisor and History teacher, Ms. Glick, has expanded the club by bringing in a new, yet heavily requested self-defense class.

After self-defense lessons were requested throughout the years of the Girl-Up club, Ms. Glick spoke about how members conveyed their opinions for this program. 

“There was repetition in the club about wanting self defense, but not enough money– in our budget for it,” Glick said. 

After the insistence for self-defense involvement, she reached out to Officer Cho, who helps out with teaching those in the club.

Photo courtesy of @cho_the_sro- Instagram

While the club is new, future ideas that the club will present have been revealed. However, slots are getting filled and are geared toward seniors who will be leaving for college soon. According to Ms. Glick, these girls will be on their own and more independent.

“It’s a first come first serve type of thing,” Glick said.  “It’s never a bad thing to know how to defend yourself, even if it’s just one move to get a girl out of a situation.”

Cho covers what will be included in the programs, such as various fighting styles from all around the world.

“There will be different types of fighting, Brazilian Jiu Jitstu, and such. It’s never bad to not know about different types of fighting,” Cho said. 

Following this logic, the new program will give girls in the club opportunities to learn self-defense skills and build up their confidence. Glick indicates that as girls learn to be more independent, their confidence will be able to flourish.

“As they learn to be more independent-they, feel safer within themselves” Glick said.

Through joining the club and signing up for the new program, students can learn more through future emails and lessons.