St. Patrick Day’s Rich History

(photo courtesy of freeimages.com)

(photo courtesy of freeimages.com)

Ava McLaughlin, Staff Writer

Saint Patrick’s Day is a cultural and religious holiday celebrated on March 17th each year. It is named after Saint Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland. 

The holiday is observed by the Irish and has become a significant cultural event in many countries, including the United States. 

History.com says that the history of Saint Patrick’s Day dates back to the early 17th century when the Catholic Church in Ireland established a feast day in honor of Saint Patrick. It wasn’t until the 18th century when the holiday became a more secular celebration, marked by parades, festivals, and other public events. 

Sophomore, Sara Cagney, shares what she does to celebrate this holiday. Cagney’s parents immigrated from Ireland.

“Me and my family go out to an Irish restaurant and have Irish food and celebrate the culture” says Cagney. 

Over the years, the holiday’s popularity grew, and today, parades and celebrations are held in many cities around the world. 

Dublin, Ireland is where the biggest St. Patrick’s Day festival takes place. The holiday has also become a symbol of Irish identity and culture, celebrated by people of Irish descent around the world. 

Many people wear green clothing and accessories, while others enjoy traditional Irish food and drink such as corned beef and cabbage, and Irish soda bread. 

“Typically we have corned beef and cabbage, which is a typical Irish meal, and we just watch Irish shows or movies,” said Cagney. 

The holiday was actually banned in Ireland in 1903 and was not officially recognized as a public holiday until 1970. Today, Saint Patrick’s Day is a beloved holiday that celebrates the cultural heritage of the Irish.