Norsemen Day Produces Heated Student vs. Teacher Volleyball Game

The crowd supporting student volleyball team.(photo courtesy of Dylan Steiner)

Andrew Hefter, Staff Writer

On January 30th, the South Gym filled up with upperclassmen students and faculty to cheer on their respective peers in a volleyball showdown. 

The students’ team was comprised of seniors Ohan Ambartsoumian, Chris Short, Walker Reiss, Danny Bettinardi, and Nadia Reddin. The team filled out with juniors Aiden Jacob, Itay Vilosny, Sam Vilkin, Ori Gelman, and Sean Park. The teachers who challenged them were Dr. Gouraige, Mrs. Thompson, Mr. Petrella, Mr. Murphy, Ms. Coca, and Mr. Marconi. This event was announced by Mr. Silva and was officiated by Mr. Ives and Mr. Johnson.

Students Malcolm Solomon and Etan Benishay cheer on fellow student Ohan Ambartsoumian in the volleyball game. (Photo courtesy of Dylan Steiner)

The teachers opened up the game with the first serve, in which the students were able to return and earn a point to start the game. The students maintained a lead on the teachers throughout most of the game. Late in the game, the teachers made a little bit of a comeback, and the game became back and forth for a little while. With some questionable calls by the officials, it had the gym riled up. The students stuck with their game plan, organized by coach Criss Guzman, and managed to pull out the win.

“To keep it a buck, the game plan was to win, it was that simple.” Guzman said.  

The students did exactly that, even through a rough reffing patch by officials Mr. Ives and Mr.Johnson. Guzman talked his players through it, and they battled all odds against them and still pulled out the win.