2022: Year in Review

Quinn Postman, Co-Editor in Chief

January 2022

Jan. 7 – 57-year-old patient with terminal heart disease receives the first pig-to-human heart transplant. 

Jan. 10 – Golden Globes: “The Power of the Dog” wins best film, “Succession” wins best TV series.  

Jan. 26 – Spotify removes Neil Young’s music from its streaming platform after the singer-songwriter’s ultimatum in objection to COVID-19 misinformation in Joe Rogan’s podcasts.

February 2022

Feb. 1 – Tom Brady announces retirement after a 22-year career and a record seven super bowl titles with the New England Patriots and Tampa Bay Buccaneers. 

Feb. 4 –  XXIV Olympic Winter Games opens in Beijing, China.

Feb. 6 – Queen Elizabeth II becomes the first British monarch to celebrate a Platinum Jubilee, which celebrates seventy years on the throne. 

Feb. 13 – Los Angeles Rams beat Cincinnati Bengals, 23-20, in the Superbowl. The Super Bowl LVI halftime show featured Hip Hop legends Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Kendrick Lamar, Mary J. Blige, Eminem, and 50 Cent. 

(Photo Courtesy of LA Times)

Feb. 22 – US Women soccer players settle their lawsuit with the US soccer federation for $24 million and promise to equalize pay. 

Feb. 24 – Russia invades Ukraine.

Feb. 28 – UN IPCC – Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change – warns that climate change will be “irreversible.” 

March 2022

Mar. 1 – “The Batman” starring Robert Pattinson and Zoë Kravitz, premieres in New York. 

Mar 7. – Global death toll from Covid-19 passes six million, according to John Hopkins. 

Mar. 13 – Tom Brady unretires: says he will play at least one more season in the NFL.

Mar. 27 – Will Smith slaps Chris Rock live on stage at the Academy Awards.

April 2022

Apr. 3 – 64th Grammy Awards: John Batiste wins Album of the Year, Olivia Rodrigo wins three awards, including Best New Artist, Best Pop Vocal Album, and Best Pop Solo Performance. 

Apr. 11 – Johnny Depp’s defamation trial against Amber Heard begins. 

Apr. 15 – Coachella Valley music festival returns after two-year hiatus, with Harry Styles opening the show in front of 100,000 people. 

Apr. 20 – Netflix suffers its first subscribes loss in a decade. 

Apr. 26 – Dr. Anthony Fauci says that the country is out of the “Pandemic Phase.”

May 2022

May 15 – 29th Billboard Music Awards; Olivia Rodrigo wins seven, Drake wins five. 

May 24 – 19 Children and two teachers were shot and killed at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, by an 18-year-old gunman. 

(Photo Courtesy of The New Yorker)

May 27- “Top Gun Maverick”: the sequel starring Tom Cruise, Miles Teller, and Jennifer Connelly, is released 36 years after the original film. 

May 28 – Real Madrid beats Liverpool 1-0 in the Champions League Final.

June 2022

June 14 – K-pop group BTS announce they are taking a break to pursue individual projects.

June 16 – Golden State Warriors beat Boston Celtics in the NBA Finals. 

June 24 – US Supreme Court overturns Roe v Wade, eliminating the constitutional right to choose abortion, in a 6-3 vote. 

(Photo by Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)

June 26 – Colorado Avalanche beat Tampa Bay Lightning to win the Stanley Cup. 

July 2022

July 7 – British Prime Minister Boris Johnson announces his resignation at Downing Street. 

July 8 – Simone Biles, 25, becomes the youngest person to receive the US Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Joe Biden. 

July 11 – A cluster of galaxies called SMACS 0723, four billion light-years away, is revealed in NASA’s first image from the James Webb Space Telescope. 

July 12 – Netflix drama, “Squid Game,” is the first “non english” Emmy nominee for Outstanding Drama. 

July 12 – Twitter sues Elon Musk after a deal to buy the platform falls through. 

July 16 – Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck get married in Las Vegas. 

July 31 – Bill Russell dies at 88. 

August 2022

Aug. 4 – Russian court sentences WNBA star Brittney Griner to nine years in prison for drug smuggling. 

Aug. 8 – Beyonce’s album, “Renaissance,” reaches number one on Billboard’s 200 charts. 

Aug. 8 – FBI conducts a search of former US President Donald Trump’s Florida home. 

Aug. 9 – Serena Williams announces her intention to retire from tennis. 

Aug. 23 – Nicki Minaj’s single, “Super Freaky Girl,” debuts at #1.  

September 2022

Sep. 1 – “The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power” premieres on Amazon Prime Video. 

Sep. 8 – Queen Elizabeth II dies at 96. 

(Photo Courtesy of BBC)

Sep. 16 – Iranian Protests concerning women’s rights erupt after Masha Amini dies in the custody of Iranian police. 

October 2022

Oct. 17 – Karim Benzema wins the FIFA Ballon d’Or 

Oct. 27 – Elon Musk takes ownership and control of Twitter

Oct. 31 – Taylor Swift becomes the first artist in history to claim all top 10 slots on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart from her album “Midnights.” 

November 2022

Nov. 4 – Drake and 21 Savage release “Her Loss” 

Nov. 5 – Houston Astros defeat Philadelphia Phillies to win the World Series. 

Nov. 8 – Actor Chris Evans named People Magazine’s Sexiest Man Alive.

Nov. 13 – Three students at the University of Idaho are found stabbed to death in their off-campus home in Moscow, Idaho.  

Nov. 14 – President Biden and President Xi meet in person to ease the tensions between US and China. 

Nov. 15 – Ticketmaster sells more than two million tickets for Taylor Swift’s The Eras tour. 

Nov. 15 – World population reaches eight billion. 

Nov. 30 – “As it Was” by Harry Styles named the most streamed song globally for Spotify in 2022. Bad Bunny was named the most listened-to artist. 

December 2022

Dec. 8 – Brittany Griner is released by Russian authorities in a prisoner exchange for Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout. 

Dec. 8 – “Harry & Meghan” documentary begins streaming on Netflix

Dec. 16 – Pokemon producers announce Ash Ketchum and his Pikachu will leave the anime series after 25 years. 

Dec. 18 – Argentina beat France 3-3 (4-2 pks) in the World Cup Final. 

(Photo Courtesy of Goal.com)

Dec. 29 – Andrew Tate arrested on charges of human trafficking and rape. 

Dec. 29 – Soccer legend Pelé dies at 82.